Patrick Boissier, Chairman & CEO of DCNS, said: “In 2012, DCNS’s revenue and operating profit grew by almost 12%. These results are in line with our objectives, thanks to the energy and drive of teams throughout the Group. However, we are aware that our strategic growth plan has now entered a more challenging phase as a result of the increasingly difficult economic context and ever greater competition. This is why we are stepping up efforts to consolidate our technological and market leadership in France and internationally.”
Order intake in 2012 amounted to €2.5 billion, compared with €3.2 billion in 2011. The biggest orders booked during the year were for through-life support for the French Navy’s submarines and FREMM multimission frigates. DCNS also signed a contract to upgrade the combat system of the Charles de Gaulle aircraft carrier, while efforts to win new business in international markets resulted in a number of significant successes. At the end of 2012, the DCNS order book was worth €14.5 billion, compared with €14.8 billion at the end of 2011.
Revenue amounted to €2.9 billion, compared with €2.6 billion in 2011, as work progressed on industrial programmes for the French Navy (Barracuda submarines, FREMM frigates and through-life support for front-line ships) and international customers (Brazil, India, Morocco, Norway, etc.).
Operating profit before impact of purchase price allocation rose to €209 million, or 7.1% of revenue, in 2012, compared with €186 million, or 7.1% of revenue, in 2011.
The number of full-time equivalent employees rose to 13,183, up from 12,829 at end-2011.
* before impact of PPA (purchase price allocation)
2012 highlights (in chronological order)
• First ocean thermal energy-conversion onshore prototype set up on La Reunion Island.
• EDF preselects DCNS to build new electricity generating plant on Saint-Pierre-et-Miquelon islands off Canada.
• DCNS and STX France deliver BPC Dixmude to French defence procurement agency DGA three months ahead of schedule.
• DCNS and STX France win contract to provide through-life support services for Navy surveillance frigates based in French overseas territories.
• DCNS wins contract to provide through-life support services for French Navy’s Horizon frigates.
• Submarine construction programmes in Brazil, France and India report good progress.
• DCNS signs agreement to reserve land near Cherbourg for new industrial facility to produce tidal stream turbines.
• DCNS delivers fourth Skjold fast patrol boat to Norwegian Navy and books order to modernise the type’s combat systems.
• DCNS design innovations contribute to success of first operations by Gowind offshore patrol vessel L’Adroit.
• DCNS signs partnership agreement in India with SEC Industries.
• DCNS signs partnership agreement with VT Halter Marine to work on US Coast Guard project.
• DCNS launches BlooPlanet (www.BlooPlanet.com), the world’s first social network of the sea.
• DCNS delivers first-of-class FREMM frigate Aquitaine to the French State.
• DCNS announces plan to set up a joint venture with French shipbuilder Piriou.
• European Commission selects DCNS to lead collaborative research project to reduce noise pollution in marine environments.
• DCNS signs agreement to step up cooperation with SMEs.
+33 1 40 59 55 69
+33 6 61 97 36 63