Naval defense, constantly at the cutting edge of technological development
Just consider how far naval defense has come since Cardinal Richelieu opened the first naval dockyards in 1631! In 2008, the French President, Nicolas Sarkozy, was presented with the very latest in the line of nuclear-powered ballistic-missile submarines, Le Terrible. Since the early 17th century, the world of naval defense has achieved so many breakthroughs, driven in its onward march by a body of industrialists united by their passion for the sea and for high technology.
DCNS is one of this elite group, boasting more than 350 years of history.
Major shipyards were built in France in Ruelle (1751), Nantes-Indret (1771), Lorient (1778) and, subsequently, in Cherbourg (1813). Others were to follow. As early as 1926, DCNS already had all the facilities now owned by the Group in mainland France.
Towards the end of the 20th century, the revolution in communication technology and the progress achieved in so many areas – materials, alloys, acoustics, design, etc. – provided the world of naval defense with opportunities that, until then, had seemed barely imaginable. DCNS now enjoys the status of a State-owned company governed by private law.
2007: a new departure for DCNS
In 2007, DCN and Thales joined forces within the Convergence project to create a major player in the world of naval defense. Boasting a larger Group structure and greater independence, the new entity – already in marching order and ready to develop its activities and conquer the world – formally changed its name to DCNS.