MESMA® AIP System
MESMA® AIP system is an air-independent electric power production module dedicated to conventional submarines.
MESMA® simultaneously supplies the ship and the propulsive system with electricity and recharges the batteries without surfacing.
MESMA® consists of a combustion module supplied with liquid oxygen and fuel, and a steam production loop. The heat of the combustion gases is used to produce steam which supplies a turbo-generator.
MESMA® extends the underwater endurance of a conventional submarine to more than 3 weeks. This significantly increases its range of action and improves its stealth in operation.
– excellent power/volume ratio
– no onboard hydrogen storage
– oxygen module architecture designed to satisfy the highest requirements in terms of reliability
– resistance to shocks
– high level of automation
– MESMA(R) is compact and modular: it occupies a single hull section and thus can also be added during retrofit or modernisation. MESMA(R) uses the same diesel oil embarked to supply diesel generators.
– no diving depth limitation
– excellent performance in terms of acoustic discretion
– delivered power: 200 kW with growth potential
MESMA® is a sea-proven system
References : Agosta program for Pakistan Navy, 3 modules ordered
– 1 module installed during ship construction, already operational at sea
– 2 modules installed during the retrofit of the 2 first-of-class.